1.15.2011

Let's Talk Breakfast.. and Strawberries!

We have all heard that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day... I speak from personal experience (as does my sweet Husband) when I say that it is indeed a vital component of "Happy Cindy." My husband has, on occasion, referred to me as "Cindy McNasty" when I don't eat a proper breakfast. Hmph. Whether or not I think his point has any validity, I do agree that a proper morning meal makes me feel better as I face the day. And, he is probably right anyway. Probably.


At this point when we are still months away from spring and summer (and the wardrobe which is currently packed away) I begin contemplating all those airy little outfits I have loved in seasons past and wondering if they will fit as well as my comfy jeans and cozy sweaters which I put on every day. I'm guessing the answer is no. That usually leads me to reexamine my eating choices and that usually leads to breakfast. Unfortunately, I'm not someone who can scramble a plain ole egg and eat it first thing.. I need more.. variety. Here are a couple of yummy breakfasts we have recently tried and loved.

This first one comes from Our Best Bites An amazing site. Check. It. Out.

These were delicious. We added about 1/2 cup of rolled oats and a few chopped nuts to make them even heartier. I LOVE fresh fruit on my pancakes so that's a healthy pick. Apparently, a little too healthy since I felt the need to dust them with powdered sugar! We had them on a snow day... even if they are whole wheat, they are still pancakes.


 "Slightly more weekday appropriate Oatmeal." 
Never underestimate oatmeal. It does not have to be that gloppy cold mess you think it is. Good Oatmeal can be a great canvas for any number of toppings. Some of our favorites have been, dried fruit (try dried cherries!), nuts, a scoop of vanilla yogurt (adds a bit of sweetness and creaminess) brown sugar, or fresh fruit. Can you tell I'm on a strawberry kick? They happen to be one of the fruits Lucy loves.. so I have been happily paying a bit more for them in winter. Sssh. Don't tell the local foods police. The things we will do to give our toddlers healthy foods. Oh, and when I mentioned "good" oatmeal. I don't mean anything fancy. Just Quaker regular rolled oats... not quick cooking. They are less pulverized and they only take 5 minutes as opposed to 2 minutes. Personally, I don't mind carving out 3 extra minutes in my morning for less mushy oatmeal.

Another breakfast favorite is a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with Milk and.. yep, you guessed it, fresh strawberries. So good. So fast. So full of protein! 

Come back next week for a couple of yummy egg recipes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment